Friday, September 14, 2007

The Break Wall


In English class today I will be presenting this amazing work of art. It is a story of how good of a fishing state New York truly is. Also during this paper, I tell you a story of how a normal day of fishing normally goes for me. I'm sorry Ryan John Sanders Welch, you are not mentioned in this article. I figured you would be to much for my inexperienced audience. Enjoy. Here it is......


The Fishing World’s Mecca: Buffalo, N.Y.

Atlantic Salmon, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Bowfin, Brook Trout, Brown Bullhead, Brown Trout, Carp, Chain Pickerel, Channel Catfish, Chinook Salmon, Coho Salmon, Freshwater Drum (aka Sheephead), Lake Trout, Largemouth Bass, Longnose Gar, Muskie, Northern Pike, Pumkinseed, Rainbow Smelt, Rainbow Trout, Steelhead, Rednose Sucker, Rock Bass, Walleye, White Bass, White Crappie, White Perch, White Sucker, and Yellow Perch. These are the names of fish that can be caught statewide in New York.

Being situated between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, the Western New York area is home to some of the best fishing in the world. This past July 19th through the 22nd, the Bassmaster’s Empire Chase Tournament made their way up to the Western New York region to try out the fishing in Lake Erie. Besides the wind and fog that plagued parts of the weekend long tournament, the fishermen loved fishing Lake Erie. Oklahoma native Edwin Evers ended up winning the tournament with a Smallmouth weight total of 65 pounds, 7 ounces.

Fishing the River

Early one morning in the middle of summer, I wake up with anticipation and excitement, wondering what I might catch at the Niagara River on the break wall. I put my “lucky” neon yellow fishing shirt on and grab my “Bass Pro” hat, fishing vest, Guide Series fishing rod with Berkley eight pound test, and my tackle box. My dad is coming along, so that means we are going to have to stop for a cup of Tim Horton’s coffee before we start fishing.

When we reach our destination, Sqauw Island Park, my dad and I stop to take in the scenery, conditions, and the crowdedness of the break wall. The sun is starting to peer over the tall buildings of the city and it is quite windy as always, the current of the river is extremely fast, and there are groupings of people either just getting to the river like us, or scattered along the break wall already fishing. My dad and I get set for our next journey, a journey that will take us past the Peace Bridge, down the break wall, almost too where the Niagara River and Lake Erie meet. The anticipation of catching that first fish really gets your blood pumping as you make that twenty minute walk down to the first fishing spot where you think will produce the best to start off.

When my dad and I finally think we have found that first perfect spot, we get our fishing poles ready and argue who will have more success. I’ll start off the day using a tube with a jig head for bait. The tube is supposed to look like a little minnow to the fish. My dad on the other hand will start off his day with worms and a hook. When it comes to my dad and fishing, he takes the more traditional approach while I like to try and out smart the fish.

Fishing at the break wall can be difficult at times. Some of the difficulties include large amounts of weeds causing many snags throughout the day, ferocious winds making it difficult to cast, and a dangerous current, which as a fisherman, you do not want to get close too. If all of these conditions are working against you, it can make for a long day at the break wall. But as one brilliant man once said, “A bad day fishing is like a good day at work.”

On this day, my dad is victorious. Sometimes it helps to use live bait I guess. My dad ends up catching three Largemouth Bass, a Smallmouth Bass, and a few Sun Fish, while I end up with three Smallmouth Bass. I am not worried though because I know there will be another day at the break wall.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Im dissapointed that Im not mentioned, Im hurt. I love how you make the wall sound like this great place of beauty, when it is really quite crappy. oh and tubes are supposed to look crayfish or gobies depending on the color, I had to add that just because Im a purist son of a bitch.

Holy Diver said...

Hey man, I don't care for that kind of language man. Anyway... ah yeah. I'm thinking about going to the break wall with possibly man dad or something this weekend or next.

Ryan said...

Oh im sorry for my language, it is unacceptable and I completley blame it on my father. good luck on the wall. what do you mean by man dad? also why was I too much for the audience, is my skill level or my antics, also there is a poll on my blog pertaining to whether I should keep it going or not.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

Blame it on my father........what the.........are you talking about. Blame the Dude. I am a church going SOB who never takes the name of the LORD in vain!!

LNSHRK