Sunday, May 20, 2007

Some Sabre Rumors

Who do you take, Daniel Briere or Chris Drury? I take Drury, he does everything, win face offs, plays the powerplay, penalty kill, clutch, and a great leader. I thought Briere was just too inconsistent throughout the playoffs and was real weak in the corners. I have heard rumors about a possible three year deal with Drury. Teams like Philadelphia and Montreal have shown interest in Briere. If I compare the two, Montreal seems like the better fit for him because he is from there, Montreal plays a style of hockey similar to Briere's, and Montreal could be losing a few of their top players, including Souray (for sure), Kovalev (most definitely) and their captain Koivu. Drury, on the other hand, could want to play on a team closer to his home in California. Los Angles and Anaheim have been talked about but I just don't see enough cap room in Anaheim and LA isn't, in my opinion, a serious contender for Drury. The New York Rangers are also a possibility for Mr. Drury, but I am almost confident he will be back in the blue and gold.

Rumors on guys like Vanek, Mair, Numminen, Paetsch, Paille, Peters (well maybe not), Roy, and Zubrus to come. When I look at these guys, I think you keep obviously Vanek, Roy, Mair, Numminen, Paetsch, and hopefully Zubrus. Zubrus gives you size that we lacked in the Ottawa series and I was impressed with Roy's play including a career high in goals this year. Numminen gives the back end a patient, smart look to it and Paetsch helps out with the powerplay. Vanek is Vanek and Mair gives you some toughness, which I hope they can add some more in the offseason. Peters is a joke and his future could be in some serious jeopardy. Paille is a toss up right now, he does give the team help on the PK, but has also taken a while to come to form. Remember though we've got some great guys in Rochester who got some experience this year in Feb./ March. This part is just my two cents, I'll give you some expert analysis when it is made available.

No comments: